Friday, June 21, 2013

"So, do you work for NASA?"

Today our journey to Space Camp began. It started by us arriving at Lambert Saint Louis International Airport around noon. We stopped to grab a quick Starbucks (someone with the initials J.P. stole mine so I had to get another mocha frappucino...grrr...) and then we stopped for a photo-op before boarding our flight to Atlanta.

We had about an hour layover in Atlanta, so we grabbed some Qdoba for dinner and waited around until our flight was ready. Here are some things we learned about the Atlanta airport:
  1. It is HUGE. We had to take a "plane train" to get to our gate when we landed.
  2. In the food court, someone was playing a grand piano...seriously?
  3. Southern accents make it hard for us to understand flight attendant messages.
Once we boarded our flight to Huntsville, our excitement for Space Camp could not be contained. We were squealing, jumping in our seats...you get the idea during our quick flight.

I don't know why I took this...I was very hyper.

When we landed in Huntsville, we immediately noticed how awesome the airport was. Nearly every wall had an awesome space mural. Pictures of space shuttles and rockets were around every corner. We were like kids in a candy store!


When we were waiting for our luggage a gentlemen asked us if we worked for NASA (probably due to our amazing t-shirts). While we were smiling from ear to ear and completely honored that he thought we actually worked for NASA, we sadly told him no. (He clearly did not notice the puff paint on the back of our shirts). We told him we were teachers who were going to Space Camp and he proceeded to tell us that he actually DID work for NASA as a design engineer for the new Saturn V rockets! Missy then asked him for his contact information for her class (lol) and we asked him some questions about the new rockets. We couldn't believe we already met someone from NASA!

After getting our luggage, we met our representative from Honeywell Educators Space Academy and boarded the bus to Charger Village, the dorm at the University of Alabama at Huntsville where we would be staying.

We freaked out when we saw the rockets on the way...


After the bus, we arrived at our dorm and checked in. We got some serious swag (more pictures to come later), and got fitted for our flight suits (squeal!) and then headed up to our room. Missy and I each have our own room but are sharing a bathroom, and we found out we are on the same team for the week's activities! Yay!

We will update more tomorrow, we have an early start at 7:00 AM! Good night from Huntsville!

-Tackett

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I'm lovin' these posts and I know I would have a blast hanging out with you two! Every year, the day before I take my students to Space Camp, I wear my blue astronaut suit to hype them up even more. I always have errands to run that day, so I just go to Walmart, Target, wherever in my space outfit! It always strikes up a conversation! Sometimes I immediately tell people that I'm just a teacher...and other times I play along that I'm an astronaut (I eventually tell the truth, though!). Once, a lady came up to me and said, "Are you...do you...work for NASA?" I held out my hand and asked, "Would you like to shake hands with an astronaut?" She flipped out and I had to quickly tell her I was joking; she was so excited! You two should totally dress up in your space gear and mess with people. ;)

    ReplyDelete